Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Be Still...

After a busy day of teaching, I sit here thinking of what a tiny impact my life has on so many and I'm humbled by the thought. I currently have 26 piano students, which is currently one of my mission fields. For the longest time I had asked God to allow me to go on several missions trips, but so far that is not what He wanted from me. I was disappointed several times and wondered, why Lord? As I always say, His plan is totally perfect.

I have been able to make international friends in several countries around the world whom I've grown to love and pray for daily (Brazil, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Germany, not to mention several missionaries in many other parts of the globe) without even leaving my home town and I thank God for those friends He allowed me to meet.Several years ago, I asked God to send me to the mission field. I was expecting Him to answer my prayer and to send me somewhere far away. Smile. I've really grown so much during these last few years and have learned to truly trust God totally with everything. It is so hard to be a living sacrifice that keeps jumping off the alter. I'm totally happy and content where He has currently placed me and love it!!! God has brought a mission field through my door. Why did I ever think I needed to go somewhere across the ocean to be a missionary?

I currently teach piano to the children of a Catholic/Luthern family from Germany. That is my mission field. I don't even need to leave my home. The way our God answers prayers is truly amazing! I stand in awe of His work.

The other missions outreach I'm currently involved is the medical office. After having 5 orthopedic surgeries in a little less than 3 years (I'm currently still on crutches from my January surgery) and thinking God: Why did you allow this pain in my life?!? I stopped asking questions and took action. I decided that if I have pain God has allowed it in my life for a purpose and since I'm to glorify Him with my life then that is what I'm going to do - full force. I've baked millions of homemade goodies & passed out dozens of tracts to patients, doctors, nurses, and other hospital and office staff. I pray for each of those daily by name. Just last year, I received a Christmas card from one my nurses who was from Guam. I pray for several orthopedic doctors from the East-West coast. It is so special to be able to reach out and share the love of God with these people and to be able to pray for them. I've enjoyed meeting several Christians that work in the different offices and pray that through their live and testimony that they will shine bright in this dark world.

Just the past few days songs have been running through my head and this one has been going through my mind all evening and I thought I'd share it.
Take a moment to read this hymn, take a deep breath, relax, and Be Still. Be renewed in the Lord. Listen to that still small voice speak- isn't it so refreshing!!

This hymn was re­port­ed­ly the fav­or­ite of Er­ic Lid­dell, the ath­lete who be­came fa­mous in the 1924 Olym­pics for re­fus­ing to run on the Sab­bath (see the mo­vie Char­i­ots of Fire). Lid­dell lat­er be­came a mis­sion­ary in Chi­na, and was im­pris­oned dur­ing World War II. He is said to have taught this hymn to others in the pri­son camp (where he event­u­al­ly died of a brain tu­mor).

Be Still, My Soul


1. Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In every change, He faithful will remain. Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend Through thorny waysleads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertakeTo guide the future, as He has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know His voiceWho ruled them while He dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart, And all is darkened in the vale of tears,Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart, Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears. Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay From His own fullness all He takes away.

4. Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on When we shall be forever with the Lord. When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past, All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

5. Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise On earth, believing, to thy Lord on high; Acknowledge Himin all thy works and ways,So shall He view thee with a well-pleased eye.Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

1 comment:

Nina in Portugal said...

Amen, Heather...isn't He amazing?