Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Who is a Missionary?




"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15

God has call every born again Christian to be a missionary. No, that doesn't mean that we all must leave our comfortable homes, our family, and our current job. Each of us is call into different areas of service. We are told to go into all the world and preach the gospel. We can do that in our work places, by our actions of how we live, and wherever we go. God does not always call people into the jungles of South America or Africa. God uses men (and women) who are weak and feeble enough to lean on Him. Just be willing to listen and to follow His call for you. If He calls you to another country - GO! If He calls you stay at home and reach the unsaved in your neighborhood or work place - DO IT! If He calls you to die for His sake -BE FAITHFUL! You may reach more people by your death than by your life.

"Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." Psalms 116:15

Many people ask, how can I be sure that this is really God's call for my life? Well, we know that from the verse in Mark that God has commanded us to GO. If you feel a burden for a certain area or unreached people group take a step of faith and go trusting God. If it is truly His will for you to leave your job, your family, your country He will open doors. If not, He will shut the door and it will leave us to wonder, what are you doing Lord, I'm trying to serve You and You have shut the door -why? I can answer from personal experience that God has everything in control and will take care of you if you submit to His will. Always pray not my will, but Thine be done. We were created for His glory and we need to live according to His will. He may have to teach us a few lessons before opening doors.

Before my dad was married he planned to work a refuge camp in a very poor country. Well, the time came for him to leave, but for some reason he had to wait for the next trip. He had already quit his job and his money was beginning to dwindle. He was thinking, Lord, here I am trying to serve You, so why are You closing this ministry door? Well, as he waited he was offered a job, but he had to commit to working for a certain length of time (which was I think at least a year). Because he had continued to wait for another opening to go on the trip and it hadn't come. He decided to go ahead and accept the job. Well, I believe that it was the very next day he received a phone call telling him that there was room for him to join the group, but he had to tell them that he was no longer able to come because he just accepted a new position.

Well, to make a long story short he was working at the same place my mom was student teaching. They met, were married and a year later I was born. I'm glad that God closed the door for my dad so that he could meet my mom - or else I probably would have never been born. One of the lessons I have learned from my dad while growing up is to ALWAYS be ready to serve and to joyfully serve the Lord wherever He places you. God's plans are perfect!

While browsing the web I found this PDF file.
Take a moment to click on and read about the call for missions.
http://www.calebproject.org/userfiles/MIB-calling.pdf

1 comment:

Nina in Portugal said...

How interesting Heather. You've done a nice job on this blog. It looks great! I'll keep checking back...Nina